❌ What’s cancelled: A lot of things.
✅ What’s not cancelled: The Earth.
In honor of Earth Day’s 50th birthday today (Which doesn’t look a day over 45, if you ask us 🎂), we rounded up a few local ways to help us all demonstrate how we can show a little extra love in these uncertain times to our favorite planet – sorry, Pluto – today and every day.
○ Eat farm to fork by getting fresh strawberries (‘tis the season) from Bugby Plantation.
○ Shop local consignment, thrift + vintage stores for boutique thrift + second-hand clothing to limit textile waste + to create a culture of recycling. ProTip: some of these shops have moved to online + delivery services.
○ Adopt a CARTA bus stop through Keep Charleston Beautiful’s Adopt-A-Stop program + and agree to pick up litter at least once a week for one year.
○ Use environmental-friendly products like natural and organic skincare products from Wildcraft Charleston.
○ Save the earth, energy + and lower your electric bill by checking out Dominion Energy’s list of energy saving tips + projects.
○ Have your kids participate in Charleston County Parks’ Earth Day art contest by submitting nature-inspired drawings here, and be entered to win a Charleston County Parks prize pack.
○ Participate in “#CHS #Earthrising” – a local part of the global Earthrise movement – through May 4. Scheduled events such as art events, tribute to various local workers + industries, public information sessions and more. Learn more here.
○ Take the Earth Challenge 2020 + make Bill Nye the Science Guy (Bill, Bill, Bill) proud by documenting the environmental changes that happen in Charleston.