Back in spring of 2017, the COSCO Development, measuring in at the same length of the CMA CGM Brazil, called on the Port of Charleston, claiming fame as the East Coast’s largest vessel to date. However, due to its 15,072-TEU(twenty-foot equivalent unit) capacity, the CMA CGM Brazil is setting sail to steal that title.
Because of SC Ports’ deep + wide harbor, large machines and efficient operations, the CMA CGM Brazil crew chose the Wando Welch Terminal as its last port of call(a stop for supplies, fuel, repairs, transmission of cargo, etc.) in the U.S. before sailing overseas.
The vessel is expected to arrive at the Wando Welch Terminal on Sun., Sept. 20, but SC Ports will update its social media channelswith the exact time of its arrival closer to the date. The public is invited + encouraged to come welcome its arrival with cameras in hand. 🤳
You can track the CMA CGM Brazil’s trek to the Lowcountry here. (Last time we checked, it was docked in Halifax, Canada. 🇨🇦)
TodayIs ○ 9/11. Today marks the 19th anniversary of the fatal attack on September 11, 2001. While we honor the fallen, we also remember the first responders who risked their lives to help in every way possible. Learn more about how you can support our local first responders via the virtual 9/11 Heroes Runhere.
Development ○ Daniel Island’s luxury housing community The Waterfront(101 River Landing Dr.) announced that its condominiums + townhomes are nowfor sale. The Egret + the Osprey offer 1-3 bedroom condos with incredible views of the Wando River, a community rooftop + eight different floor plans. The Sandpiper + the Kingfishertownhomes include three bedrooms, floor-to-ceiling windows + private terraces. All residents have access to the Daniel Island Yacht Club, a waterfront restaurant + 25 miles of nature trails. 🏘
ReOpen ○ The Come Back Shack(1132 Bowman Rd. Suite G, Mount Pleasant)announced that it has finally reopened. For now, it will be operating on an irregular schedule of 11 a.m.-9 p.m. 🍔
WaterCooler ○ TheCharleston Battery’s first home game open to the public will take place this evening at Patriots Point at 7:30 p.m. against the Tampa Bay Rowdies. While tickets are sold out (as there were only 250 available allowing for 10% stadium capacity), fans can stream the game via ESPN+ here. To stay in the loop for the remaining games’ ticket sales, fans can follow along with Charleston Battery’s newsletter, which will announce when ticket sales go live.
Cause ○ Going Places, a non-profit organization that helps donate bikestochildren in need, is hosting a live, virtual fundraiser on Sat., Sept. 26 from 7-7:30 p.m. as well as a silent auctionMon., Sept. 21–Sun., Sept. 27. Founder Katie Blomquist will speak at the event with Jawan – the first child to receive a bike from Going Places. Sign up here to be a part of this night. 🚲
Active ○ The Mount Pleasant Recreation Department is hosting pickleball clinics this fall at the Miriam Brown Community Center (118 Royal Ave.), Park West Recreation Complex (1251 Park West Blvd.) + Town Hall Gym (100 Ann Edwards Ln.). Each session includes four 60-minute clinics with PPR certified instructor Mary Kennerty. Learn more + register here.
Trending ○ Since the release of the Netflix special Chef’s Table: BBQ, featured restaurant Rodney Scott’s BBQ(1011 King St.) has seen a significant uptick in business. Over Labor Day weekend, the location in downtown Charleston set sales records for three consecutive days, resulting in a shortage of pulled pork + a drive-thru wait time of up to an hour. 🍽 (Post and Courier)
Disclaimer: It is up to readers’ discretion to determine whether they feel comfortable participating in any mentioned events based on COVID-19 protocols and precautions. If you have questions, please contact the event’s organizers directly.
Little details were shared, and many of you (our team included) wondered when filming will take place + what it will look like. 🎬
Well, Patriots Point released this sneak peek of the vision the Hallmark team has for the upcoming movie, and we must say, this Charleston-based holiday film is going to be dreamy.
While no additional info has been released, stay tuned for updates as filming + production goes underway in the next coming weeks.❄️
#DYK that your photo could be featured in our newsletter? Just use #CHStoday on social media.
Visit SCDHEC’s website for full coronavirus data + stats, and here for daily positive COVID-19 cases + related deaths in South Carolina.
○ On Tuesday night, Folly Beach decided to extend the city’s mask mandate in light of mandates being lifted in surrounding areas. Additionally, leaders elected to lift restrictions on parking + music. (WCSC)
○ In May, the Medical University of South Carolina received $25 million in federal funding to be used for coronavirus testing. Now, the majority of those funds have been spent + the CEO of MUSC Health, Dr. Pat Cawley, has asked the Senate Finance + Ways and Means committee for an additional $30 million for testing + vaccine deployment. (Post and Courier)
○ During the current pandemic, Fisher House (150 Wentworth St.)has continued to provide free housing for veterans, service members + those impacted by COVID-19 despite finding itself in need of assistance. Contributions have severely decreased + charitable organizations are also hurting, but Fisher House has managed to continue to serve as a safe haven for many. (Post and Courier)
○ The real estate market in Charleston is having success, despite the impact of COVID-19. Much of the thriving market is associated with low interest rates with loans. Read some feedback people in Charleston have in regards to the current real estate industry here. (WCBD)
○ After receiving emergency authorization, Convalescent Plasmacan now be used to treat patients battling COVID-19. The Blood Connection is in urgent need of donors who have recovered from COVID-19 or tested positive for antibodies to donate their plasma. Schedule a donation appointment online here. Ⓟ
Was learning a new language on your quarantine to-do list? It’s not too late.
Babbel, the#1 selling language learning app in the world, is offering CHStoday readers up to 50% off subscriptions to learn a new language in just 3 weeks with regular practice.
Ways Babbel works: • bite-sized, 10-15 minute lessons • taught by real language teachers (not AI) • focus on practical, real-life conversations • get conversational after 3 weeks of consistent practice Ⓟ