Hello Charleston friends, Vagney here. 👋 If you are like me, you love to travel + experience different cultures and authentic food. Traveling around the world might be paused at the moment, due to safety measures with the coronavirus, but that doesn’t mean your taste buds have to be restricted when it comes to tasting food from around the world. It is possible to book your taste buds on trips to Brazil, Japan, the Caribbean islands, and even France, right here in Charleston.
Here are some restaurants in + around the Lowcountry where you can experience tasting food from around the globe. Let’s eat internationally, your passport is not needed for this dining experience around the world. ✈️
○ 🥩 Galpao Gaucho Brazilian Steakhouse | 167 E Bay St. | Brazilian Steakhouse that offers guests the authentic dining experience of the Brazilian Cowboy in the Gaucho culture, serving up to 17 different cuts of grilled meats + a fresh, versatile salad bar. | #Protip: try the Brazilian Guarana soda + salmon with passionfruit sauce. | Full menu
○ 🍛 Ma’am Saab Pakistani Food Down South | 1503 King Street Ext. (The Workshop) | Maryam, the chef and owner of this restaurant, was raised in Pakistan + Saudi Arabia and is making flavorful foods come to life from her heritage in these dishes. | #Protip: start with the beef samosas + try the Bihari Kabab Plate – includes ribeye, rice + a dessert. | Full menu
○ 🍣 O-Ku | 463 King St. | This restaurant celebrates authentic Asian cuisine with a southern approach + focuses on incorporating Japanese flavors into dishes. | #Protip: try the potato roll + seafood fried rice. | Full menu
View this post on Instagram
○ 🇨🇺 Spanglish | 652 St. Andrews Blvd. | Enjoy Cuban dishes at this cocina (kitchen) + bar that offers ceviche, empanadas + more | Protip: Try the “El Cubano,” a cuban sandwich that features slow roasted pork, country ham, house pickles + mustard, aged Alpine Cheese, sandwiched between authentic Cuban Bread.
○ 🌴 Charleston Caribbean Creole Food Truck | Track the truck’s location here. | This food truck serves up caribbean + creole fusion cuisine. | #Protip: start with the sweet plantains/fried bananas (Maduros) + try the Charleston Carribean Famous Crab Rice. | Full menu
○ 🍫🇫🇷 Christophe Chocolatier | West Ashley + Downtown locations | This is the place to satisfy your international sweet tooth. Christophe Paume, the co-owner of this chocolate shop, is a third-generation French chocolatier who makes hand-painted chocolates, truffles + chocolate sculptures. | #Protip: Create your own chocolate box that’s made out of your sweet dreams. | Full menu
○ ☘️ Tommy Condon’s Irish Pub & Seafood Restaurant | 160 Church St. | You might just find the luck of the Irish here. This pub serves Irish dishes + beer. | #Protip: Order the corned beef and cabbage or Tommy’s famous fish + chips. | Full menu
○ 🥘 Ali Baba Deli & Catering | 186 Seven Farms Dr., Ste 500, Daniel Island | Deli that serves traditional Greek + Mediterranean dishes | #Protip: order the Gyros Platter, includes hummus, tabouli + pita. | Full menu
○ 🌮 Rio Chico Mexican Restaurant | locations throughout Charleston | Serves authentic + traditional Mexican dishes. | #Protip: Order the Enchiladas Supremas – you’ll get a taste of everything from beef to chicken + more. | Full menu