The highly anticipated COVID-19 vaccine is here –– and 4,875+ doses have already arrived at MUSC Health. But we’re not out of the woods yet. We still don’t know if the vaccine prevents transmission of COVID-19, and infectious disease experts are urging continued adherence to safety measures like wearing face masks in public, maintaining social distancing, and avoiding crowds.
Here’s a recap of the latest at MUSC Health:
○ Phase one of vaccine distribution has been underway since December, and is offered to healthcare workers who have direct contact with direct patient contact. Phase two is expected to begin early this year, + will include essential workers and high-risk patients.
○ Since November, MUSC Health has been using a new tool to treat COVID-19 patients: monoclonal antibody infusion. Read more about what it involves here.
○ Virtual screenings for COVID-19 are available at no cost – just be sure to use code COVID19 when you log in.
○ All of MUSC Health’s ambulatory and outpatient offices are open, and virtual visits with primary care physicians + specialists remain available. For in-office visits, patients are required to wear a mask.
○ Hospital visitor restrictions + limitations remain in place.