CHStoday is working to keep you updated on the latest local news, announcements, + resources related to the COVID-19 pandemic. To find more of our coverage, click here.
Many of you – including the CHStoday team – have been working from home the past few days. And there are tons of superheroes out there who have been juggling kids who are out of school at the same time.
While it’s hard to keep yourself + kiddos entertained and fight off cabin fever when we are strongly encouraged to stay in our homes, the community has been working behind the scenes to make sure there’s plenty of cool + fun things to do during the day – and it’s all virtual.
From virtual tours of the South Carolina Aquarium to online tap dance lessons, here are some unique, local opportunities to stay active, engaged + entertained from the comfort of your own home.
Art + entertainment
Virtual jazz shows
○ Hosted by Forte Jazz Lounge
○ Shows will stream live on Forte Jazz Lounge’s Facebook page beginning at 7 p.m. Wed.-Sat.
○ Shows are free to watch, but virtual tickets are available to purchase to support the local jazz lounge. (Bonus: everyone who donated will be invited to a special party with the Joe Clarke Big Band once the lounge is opened back up.)
Local musician performances
○ Hosted by Moranz Entertainment
○ With the cancellation of Moranz Entertainment + various shows at the Charleston Music Hall, Brad + Jennifer Moranz are releasing weekly musical performances via GoFundMe.
○ Free to stream, donations encouraged (all donations will be given to those who are entirely dependent on performing for income.)
○ Videos + donation page here.
Virtual Performance Series- No Intermission
○ Hosted by the Post and Courier online daily
○ Featuring jazz, classical + popular music from local artists and play scenes from local actors
○ Check out episode one with bass and vocal artist Reggie Sullivan
Craft and virtual party kits
○ AR Workshop in Mount Pleasant is offering DIY craft kits and virtual party kits.
○ Kits can be ordered for pick-up at the store or can be shipped directly to your home.
○ Recommended for both kids and adults.
Virtual aquarium tours
○ Hosted by the South Carolina Aquarium
○ Via Facebook Live at 10 a.m. + 2 p.m. every weekday
○ Guided by a STEM-based learning educator
○ Interaction encouraged through online activities
Gibbes Museum of Art virtual walkthrough
○ Hosted by Gibbes Museum of Art
○ Using Google Street Views, you can virtually walk through all of the exhibits on display.
○ Visitors can pair their virtual walkthroughs with audio from the Gibbes’ mobile app, which explains each piece on display.
○ Hosted by Live 5 News
○ Tuesdays + Thursdays at 2 p.m. via Facebook live.
○ Kids can get the chance to learn about the jobs of meteorologists and reporters + get a virtual tour of the studio.
Virtual Education and Community Program
○ Hosted by the Gaillard Center
○ Access performance videos and prepared lesson plans curated by Director of Education, Sterling deVries, M.Ed., and Education Coordinator, Stephanie Creger, MAT
Palmetto Carriage Works
○ Tour guides are sharing short history lesson videos on Facebook.
○ Tipping is encouraged through GoFundMe. All money received will be distributed evenly among participating staff.
Charleston County Public Library
○ A variety of digital resources are available, including audiobooks, streaming music and movies, access to research databases, eBooks, and more.
○ Temporary e-cards for Charleston County Public Library branches are now available for Charleston residents who wish to access digital materials including books, virtual programs, music, TV, the New York Times + more. Apply for a card here.
○ CCPL is also offering free WiFi access outside of all branches for those who do not have Internet access at home, which will be available from 10 a.m.-7 p.m. CCPL asks for those using WiFi to stay in their cars. Note: The Folly Beach branch (55 Center St.) will not offer free WiFi, and the Sullivan’s Island branch (1921 Ion Ave.) will be accessible only for residents.
Redux’s Family Fridays
○ Hosted by Redux Contemporary Art Center and Mia Loia.
○ Hosted live Fridays at 1 p.m. on the Redux Facebook page.
○ All previous activity videos will remain available following the live stream to watch later.
Virtual yoga classes
○ Hosted by Urban Yoga
○ $40 for two weeks of unlimited classes, sign up here
○ Do what works for you; You can customize each session by choosing from various 10-minute to 75-minute classes, instructors + all kinds of types and levels.
Virtual meditation & yoga classes
○ Hosted by Satsang Yoga
○ Meditation via Facebook live at 7:30 a.m. every day.
○ Yoga via Zoom around 10 a.m. every day.
○ By donation or with an existing class package.
○ View the full schedule + sign up here.
Virtual group fitness classes
○ Hosted by College of Charleston Campus Recreation Services
○ Via Facebook and Instagram
○ Twice a day Monday-Friday, view this week’s schedule here.
○ Including HIIT, yoga, and core blast classes.
Virtual karate classes- “Earn Your Yellow Belt” video series
○ Hosted by Japan Karate Institute
○ Monday-Thursday 5-5:45 p.m.
○ Via Zoom
○ See Facebook for previous videos.
Virtual live yoga classes
○ Hosted by Charleston Power Yoga
○ Membership or class-cards can be used to sign up, $10 drop-in classes for nonmembers.
○ Via Zoom
○ Sign up and view the full schedule here.
Virtual 5k training
○ Hosted by Fleet Feet Mt. Pleasant & Summerville
○ $40 with shirt, $20 without shirt
○ Register for beginner or intermediate 10-week program.
○ Via Facebook live, emails and additional personal contact with mentor
On-Demand workouts with Bill Murray
○ Hosted by Longevity Fitness Charleston
○ $25/week for unlimited workout videos.
○ Additional classes include yoga, TRX, pilates + more.
○ Rentable Fit Kits to utilize during workouts
○ Sign up here.
○ Check out a clip from Bill’s workout video here.
Business + networking
Food + drink
Bartending with Bottles
○ Hosted by Bottles Beverage Superstore
○ Local bartenders will share a signature cocktail recipe via social media
○ Twice a week starting March 23
○ Featured cocktail recipe kits are available to pick up with pre-order via email
Charleston Recreation Department
○ The city’s Recreation Department is sharing daily virtual recreation activities that can be done at home.
○ Activities are offered for all ages and include ideas, crafts, videos, educational opportunities, fitness classes, games, and more.
Find the offerings on the department’s website or Facebook page.
CPD Birthday Celebrations
○ The Charleston Police Department has been dispatching officers to visit children on their birthdays and give them a surprise birthday gift bag. If your child has a birthday coming up + you would like a visit from CPD, send them a message on Facebook.
Virtual Toy Shopping
○ Go on a shopping spree through this virtual tour of Wonder Works Toys. Phone orders are accepted by calling 843-849-6757 from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. daily. Curbside pickup + no-touch porch delivery available. Curated item selection available here.
Have another favorite virtual activity that’s been keeping you entertained? Share with us below.