Maybe you have some extra time on your hands, or maybe you’re just in the giving spirit. All we know is there are more than enough great causes in Charleston to support with your time. Whether you’re an animal lover, an artsy type, a natural mentor, or a healthcare enthusiast — there’s a nearby volunteer opportunity for you. Here are several ways to get involved in Charleston.
Natural-born teachers + mentors
- Be a Mentor | Empower students to reach their full potential.
- Trident Literacy | Become a Learning Coach and teach English as a Second Language (ESL).
- Charleston County School District | Be a lunch buddy to a county student.
If you want to be there for abuse victims
- Dee Norton Child Advocacy Center | Help children feel safe + comfortable by becoming a Child Advocate.
- My Sister’s House | Volunteer as a domestic violence crisis line worker.
- Darkness to Light | Get involved at this organization that raises awareness of the prevalence and consequences of child sexual abuse.
If you have a passion for disabled community members
- Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired SC | Help those who are blind or visually impaired practice braille.
- Disabilities Board of Charleston County | Help community members affected by disabilities and special needs.
If you want to stay in your home
- Make-A-Wish®South Carolina | Donate airline miles and other gifts to participating children.
- Charleston Habitat for Humanity | Arrange a pickup of donated home items for the ReStore.
- Friends of Coastal South Carolina | Donate online to help preserve the ecosystems + wildlife of the SC coast for future generations.
If you’re a mental health advocate
- Charleston Dorchester Mental Health Center | Participate in various anti-stigma community events.
- NAMI Charleston Area | Volunteer for presentations and events with the National Alliance on Mental Illness.
If you’re on a tight schedule
- The Blood Connection | Choose a time to donate blood and help save lives in the community.
- Trident United Way | Participate in Days of Caring, aka the largest single day of community service in the Tri-County area.
The artsy types
- MUSC Children’s Health | Create therapy dolls + knitted blankets for children at MUSC Health.
- Children’s Museum of the Lowcountry | Become a Brown Bag Assembler, Green Guru, or Rock Star of Special Events.
- Gibbes Museum of Art | Become a member to help cultivate, preserve, and advance local visual arts and art education.
If you’re interested in healthcare
- Roper St. Francis Healthcare | Develop career skills through the SCRUBS mentoring and career exploration programs.
- MUSC Children’s Health | Give babies the comfort they need for emotional and physical development through MUSC Health’s Special Care Nursery.
If you’re an animal lover
- SC Aquarium | “Adopt” an aquarium animal to help provide expert care + opportunities for enrichment.
- Charleston Animal Society | Help shelter animals feel loved by donating your time at this local spot.
For the outdoorsy types
- Charleston Surfrider Foundation | Participate in beach sweeps.
- The Green Heart Project | Maintain your green thumb by becoming a garden volunteer.
- Adopt-a-Highway | Help keep our roads clean.
If you’re passionate about supporting local minority groups
- We Are Family | Participate in community outreach for Charleston’s LGBTQ+ youth.
- Art Pot Multicultural Group | Help create a space of integration, culture + education.
- Warrior Surf Foundation | Help veterans with surf therapy and wellness.
If you live + breathe Charleston
- Preservation Society of Charleston | Become a member to help preserve the historic charm and culture of the Holy City.
- Historic Charleston Foundation | Assist with educational programs and events.
- Lowcountry Local First | Make a donation or sign up to advocate for the local business community in Charleston.
- Charleston Friends of the Library | Assist with book sales by sorting through the donated items, pricing items, and packing donations.
- Charleston County Public Library | Donate gently-used books, magazines, and audio-visual materials.
- SC Reading Partners | Become a volunteer reading partner and tutor a student once a week.
For the social butterflies
- Junior League of Charleston | Join this organization and connect with a network of women passionate about volunteering.
- Together SC | Serve South Carolina’s nonprofit community by participating in Advocacy Allies.