It’s been a little over a year since the new MUSC Shawn Jenkins Children’s Hospital & Pearl Tourville Women’s Pavilion opened on February 22, 2020. Construction began on the downtown Charleston facility back in February 2016 with aspirations to better serve patients and their families. The state-of-the-art building transforms how care is delivered to children and women, seamlessly integrating children’s care with obstetrical services.
Since then, the staff at MUSC Children’s Health and their team of specialists (including 2 hospital dogs) have assisted patients from across the state + nation.
Here’s a closer look at their impact, based on data recorded through June 30, 2021:
Care by the numbers:
- 13,761: Number of patients served
- 9,443: Number of surgeries performed
- 4,155: Number of babies born
- 162: Number of twin births
- 5: Number of triplet births
Inside the hospital:
- 27+: Number of specialties, including cancer, cardiology, neurology + orthopaedics
- 2,200+: Number of staff (aka care team members)
- 4: Number of specialties ranked by U.S. News & World Report 2021-22 survey, with 7 of these 10 specialty programs ranked in the top 50 nationally for the outcomes portion of their respective survey
- 2: Number of hospital dogs, Agnes + Baskin, who work as part of the healthcare team to aid patients during recovery by lowering anxiety and increasing their comfort (and do a doggone good job) 🦮
- The NICU is a level 4, meaning they can care for babies as young as 22-24 weeks + weighing less than a pound.
- Their trauma center is a level 1, and the only level 1 pediatric center in the state.
- They are the first pediatric hospital in North America to own and operate with a Modus V 3D robotic digital microscope from Synaptive, a 3D scope system that helps doctors maneuver the camera to look at the surgical site from any vantage point while operating + can display the screen to everyone in the room.
- The Pearl Tourville Women’s Pavilion manages the simplest to the most complex obstetrical conditions. The integration of a women’s pavilion in a children’s hospital means enhanced safety and improved outcomes in high-risk pregnancies for mom and baby.
For information about MUSC or to donate or volunteer, visit their website to get involved + stay up to date. Ⓟ