It’s official: The Credit One Charleston Open is in full swing. DYK that this is the largest women’s-only tournament in North America? From a newly-renovated stadium to the tournament’s 50-year anniversary, there’s much to celebrate during this year’s event.
We’re serving the 4-1-1 on stadium upgrades, players, scheduling, and ticket options to get you up to speed on the upcoming festivities.
Formerly known as the Volvo Car Open, the tournament is held at the Credit One Stadium on Daniel Island from April 2-10. If you’re cruising along Seven Farms Drive, you can’t miss it.
After a hiatus and a $50 million investment from Charleston Open owner + local billionaire Ben Navarro, anticipation was high for the return of the competition. Here’s what you can expect from this year’s stadium upgrades:
- A 35,000-sqft Stage House, featuring flat-screen TVs + a golf simulator
- Increased seating capacity from ~7,000 to 11,000
- Hospitality suites with private patios + kitchen facilities
- A 130% increase in the number of restrooms
- A VIP Club with a view of Center Court
- Dining and drink options featuring bites from Swig & Swine BBQ and Mac & Sweets
The festivities kicked off last weekend with Family Weekend and a court rededication to former South Carolina tennis champion Althea Gibson. In case you didn’t know, Althea was born in Clarendon County and won 11 Grand Slam titles.