We Are Family is a nonprofit that aims to provide affirming spaces for LGBTQI+ and ally individuals through the age of 24. Their vision is that this group feels empowered “to find their places in the world, in their families, and in their communities.”
Founded in 1995, We Are Family began serving this area in early 1997 by offering direct services to LGBTQI+ youth through a weekly peer support group.
Today, the organization has several programs and initiatives focused on leadership development, community and movement building, advocacy, social support groups, and mental health assistance programs.
SafeSpace | Designed for middle and high school students with weekly meetings at 7 p.m.
- Tuesday, Aug. 1 | Topic: A well-rounded apology and connection + healing spell jars
- Tuesday, Aug. 15 | Topic: How to communicated conflict and harm + knitting circle
- Tuesday, Aug. 29 | Topic: Intentional Community + pod mapping
Additionally, there will be virtual meetings on Tuesday, Aug. 8, and Tues. Aug. 22
QueerSpace | Designed for young adults ages 18-24
- Saturday, Aug. 12, time TBA
- Saturday, Aug. 26, time TBA
The Q Crew | Designed as a virtual support group for LBGTQI+ who are Black Indigenous People of Color for people ages 16-24
- Wednesday, Aug. 2, time TBA
- Wednesday, Aug. 16, time TBA
- Wednesday, Aug. 30, time TBA
Art Therapy | Designed for high school-aged individuals, run by licensed MUSC art therapists, and does not require any experience
- Wednesday, Aug. 2, 6–7:30 p.m. | Topic: Centering and naming your emotions
- Wednesday, Aug. 20, 6–7 p.m. | Topic: Exploration of identity in this time of community trauma
Other monthly groups
KidSpace | For LGBTQIA+ youth ages ten and under
- Saturday, August 26, 2–3 p.m.
ParentSpace | For parents, guardians, and caregivers of LGBTQI+ youth and young adults
- Saturday, Aug. 6, 5–6:30 p.m.
Note: Locations will be provided once you fill out the intake form.