This beginner-friendly winter salad from Barbara Hines, a source for all things health and wellness, is the perfect recipe for your next dinner party, those busy weekday night dinners, or freshen up your recipe book.
Roasted Carrot + Shallot Farro Salad
Start to finish: 30 minutes
5 oz arugula
2 shallots, sliced horizontally
2 lbs carrots, washed and trimmed
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 cup cooked farro
¼ cup pepitas, toasted
¼ cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
olive oil, for roasting vegetables
zest of one lemon
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp maple syrup
⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
flaky sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- In a small bowl, add the vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, and whisk together. While whisking, slowly drizzle in the olive oil.
- Season the vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
Prepare farro and vegetables
- Cook the farro according to package directions if not already prepared. You’ll need about a cup of cooked farro.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Wash carrots, trim ends, and cut in half horizontally, then slice into 3-4 inch bite-size pieces.
- Peel the shallots and slice them horizontally into quarters.
- On a lined baking sheet, roast carrots and shallots drizzled with olive oil and flaky salt for 15 minutes or until tender and starting to turn golden.
- Add the chickpeas to the same pan and toss gently to mix. Roast for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the freshly grated lemon zest, toss gently again, and set aside to rest.
- Toast the pepitas in a small pan set to medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned.
- In a large bowl, combine the arugula, cooked farro, and roasted carrot mixture.
- Top the mixture with the toasted pepitas and the crumbled feta.
- Give the apple cider vinaigrette a quick whisk and gently toss to coat.
Pro tip: leftover vinaigrette keeps well in a jar in the fridge for up to a week.