An 87-acre park is coming soon to the Lowcountry. Ashley River Park is currently being built on the banks of the Ashley River by the historic Bacons Bridge in Dorchester County. The park — located by Summerville — is set to open by the end of this year.
What’s in the park?
- Interactive play fountain designed to look like a map of Ashley River
- 2 dog parks
- Open lawn areas
- Playground and picnic areas
- Event space with a pavilion
- Tiered lawn by a large pond with fishing piers and boardwalks
- Upgraded nearby kayak launch and picnic area
Designs for the park first began in 2015. Local land design firm SeamonWhiteside recently announced its partnership in developing the project + has focused on preserving wetlands on the grounds. The firm said its biggest goal was to make the park with the community in mind and have it become a special part of Dorchester County.