Hey, Charleston – Katie here. Yesterday, Jen + myself (along with the rest of the 6AM City staff) were encouraged to work remotely for the next few weeks – and let me tell you, I hate being cooped up in my house.
However, social distancing is something important that we should all be considering at the moment, even though it can be extremely boring at times.
But you know what times like this are great for? Catching up on reading. 📚
Whether you’re already a bookworm or are just looking for anything to do besides binge-watch your favorite TV shows, reading is a fun + productive hobby to pick up.
What’s even better is that by reading, you can continue to support local businesses while adhering to social distancing. Here are some ways local bookstores are working with the community to decrease interaction, as well as some digital book platforms that will keep your mind moving at home.
Itinerant Literate Bookstop, 4824 Chateau Ave. N
○ Regular hours
○ Curbside pickup
○ Free local delivery
○ If you wanted to come in and browse because you weren’t sure what you wanted, they will be offering free 30-minute virtual meetings with booksellers to help find the perfect books for you. They will then collect the books and you can choose how you want to receive them.
Indigo Books, 472 Freshfields Dr., Johns Island
○ Regular hours
○ While Indigo Books is not currently offering curbside pickup or delivery, they are putting a sign up letting the community know they will remain open, and to stop in to shop local.
Charleston County Public Library
○ Although CCPL branches will be closed through March 31, there are still tons of great digital resources they offer – including e-books, audiobooks, music + more – free of charge for library card holders. Check out the list of digital vendors here.
○ This digital resource is a great way to support local bookstores. Libro.fm is an audiobook vendor that is membership based, and if you sign up now, you will get two books for the price of one, + 100% of your payment will go to a local bookstore of your choosing.
The Walking Book Club
○ A free virtual community that encourages reading + exercising via audiobooks, which is a great resource if your gym is closed. Each book is selected through a discussion on the Facebook page accessible to members, and each round includes a healthy-body, happy-mind topic + health coaching prompts that you can listen to on the move – whether you’re doing chores or going for a walk. Plus, it’s a good excuse to get outside + get some vitamin D. Learn more + sign up here. (ProTip: You can search for the audiobooks for free from CCPL or download from Libro.fm to support local bookstores.)
Bonus: If you need some book inspo, check out this list of 100+ novels that take place in Charleston.
Happy reading, and stay healthy, Charleston. 📖