Mia here. I am a camping fanatic and am so excited to share some my favorite spots I have found. Check these out for your next weekend getaway or staycation.
For those staying close to home
- James Island County Park | 871 Riverland Dr., Charleston | Just a few minutes from downtown, this local park has a campground and cottages to stay in. Bonus: the park has bikes, kayaks, and boats for rent.
- KOA | 9494 Hwy. 78, Ladson + 3157 N Hwy. 17, Mount Pleasant | With two locations in the area, these campgrounds are a great spot for the whole family. Both locations offer pools to cool off during summertime.
- Oak Plantation Campground | 3540 Savannah Hwy., Johns Island | This is the spot for for peace and quiet lovers. With over 200 campsites, there is a spot for everyone in your party.
The adventurer seekers
- Edisto treehouses | Undisclosed location | Mysterious right? In the swamp of the Blackwater River stands three treehouses that are reachable only by canoe or kayak. This trip is self-guided and one-of-a-kind, if you’re up for the challenge.
- Capers Island | Awendaw | Snag a permit to stay at one of the coolest undeveloped barrier islands. Camping here entails untouched views of wildlife and Lowcountry salt marshes.
- Huntington Island State Park | 16148 Ocean Hwy., Murrells Inlet | There’s no shortage of things to do here from the nature center all the way to the historic sites on property. Fishing is also well-known at this park, but make sure to bring your fishing license.
- Santee State Park | 251 State Park Rd., Santee | This park has multiple campgrounds to maximize access to lakefront property. Plus, check out one of the three walking trails to explore the wildlife around the park.
Weekend road trips
- Natural Gathering Grounds | 7338 Peirce Rd., Ridgeville | This property screams “outdoor getaway” and features multiple programs for camping. Have a look at the vintage trailers for rent for a unique stay.
- Edisto Island State Park | 8377 State Cabin Rd., Edisto Island | Edisto is the perfect site for oceanside camping and beach views. If sand is what you want under your tent, make sure to grab a reservation and check it out.
- The Charleston Treehouse | Maybank Hwy., Wadmalaw Island | For a romantic glamping getaway, pack your suitcase and head to Wadmalaw. The booking company offers packages for a weekend hideaway to remember.
In a bind and these campground are reserved? Try one of the following websites to see private campgrounds in the area:
- Hipcamp | When it comes to planning trips, Hipcamp is one of my personal favorites. There are plenty of off-the-grid sites for those looking for something more private. Pro tip: use the saved trips option to mark different stops along routes and track your stays.
- The Dyrt | This group prides itself on camping for everyone. Its search function accommodates every type of camper out there by featuring ADA accessible campsites.
- Campspot | Tailor made camping guides are featured on this website to allow for smooth travels. The number one core value of the company is to “make campers happy” and they provide that with fast online bookings.