Summer — the season of neighborhood cookouts, popsicle juice dripping down sticky fingers, and road trips. Call us car-zy, but this season brings an abundance of nostalgia, especially when it comes to driving down the highway while blasting The Proclaimers’ “I’m Gonna Be.”
That’s why we’re excited to kick off Hit the Road. In this summer road trip series, we will feature three destinations throughout June, July, and August — each with its own theme. We’ll be talking outdoor adventures, 100+-mile getaways, and something for the foodies.
Before you pack your bags, here are some of our recommendations to prepare locally:
🥤 Stock up on road trip essentials
Swing by one of these CHS spots to stock up on snacks, drinks, and coffee to minimize your stops during the road trip.
- Charleston Farmers Market, 329 Meeting St. | Check out this award-winning farmers market held each Saturday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. to grab fresh, local produce, and a variety of bites from local vendors like Brown’s Court Bakery, Charleston Spice Company, and The Big Egg Charleston.
- Babas on Cannon, 11 Cannon St. | Head to Babas for an all-day café featuring coffee + tea, snacks including bruleed onion dip + chips, and plates. We’ve got our eyes on that turkey club.
- Pitt Street Pharmacy, 111 Pitt St. | Visit this historic shop’s lunch counter for sandwiches, ice cream, or a milkshake, and grab a few snacks to go.
- The Pass, 207-A St. Philip St. | This neighborhood market is your one-stop shop for sandwiches, snacks, and drinks. Vegetarian Cacio e Pepe sandwich, anyone?
🎶 Create a road trip playlist
Check out these local artists + add some of their tunes to your road trip rotation.
- Darius Rucker, “When Was The Last Time”
- SUSTO, “Time in the Sun”
- The Midnight City, “IRIS”
Bonus: Listen to a local podcast or audiobook.
🚘 Get your car ready
Check the fluids + car battery. If you notice anything out of the ordinary or need a last-minute oil change before you go, head to one of these local car shops.
- Gerald’s Tires & Brakes, Locations vary
- Richard’s Automotive Repair, 1025 St. Andrews Blvd.
- Ottohaus of Charleston, 1913 Sam Rittenberg Blvd.
Bonus: Find the cheapest places to fill up your gas tank.
🐶 Don’t forget about fido
Be sure to line up accommodations for your pet while you’re away. Reach out to one of the many local pet sitters or pet boarding facilities. Here are a few:
- In The Dog House, 1032 Legrand Blvd.
- My Three Dogs, 1606 Hwy. 17 N., Mt. Pleasant
- Dog Daze, 820 Dupont Rd.
- Dog Tired Pet Services, 1989 River Rd., Johns Island