If you’re planning a trip for next fall, we’ve got important information you need to know before booking a flight: you may need to get new identification.
Here’s what you need to know. ⬇️
What is a Real ID?
○ It’s a new form of identification that meets security standards established by the Real ID Act of 2005.
○ It’s also called a “gold star” ID because the identification has a gold star.
○ Congress set the Real ID standard after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.
○ Enforcement for South Carolinians will begin fall 2020.
○ The IDs are “a vital component of our national security framework,” according to the Department of Homeland Security.
You need a Real ID if…
○ You want to board a federally regulated commercial aircraft. So, basically, if you have plans to fly, you probably want to get the gold star.
○ You are going to enter any federal buildings or nuclear facilities. For example, if you plan to visit any of these federal buildings.
You do not need a Real ID to…
○ Buy alcohol or cigarettes.
○ Access hospitals, the post office or federal court buildings.
○ Apply for or get federal benefits, such as social security.
How to get a Real ID
○ Visit an SCDMV near you. No appointment needed. But it is recommended that you check the wait times at branches before leaving home.
○ Bring the needed documentation to prove citizenship, social security number and residency. The state’s website outlines the list of documents needed here. Pro tip: If you’re married and changed your name, you will need to bring a copy of your marriage license, even if your married name is on your current license. Both myself and my mom learned that one the hard way.
Other details + resources
○ Other forms of identification are acceptable until Oct. 1, 2020.
○ After you apply for a Real ID, you’ll get an interim paper document and a hard copy will be sent in the mail within 10-20 days. If you’re flying, TSA may not accept the interim paper document.
○ If you have a passport or other TSA approved identification, it can be used in place of a Real ID for air travel.
○ Most other states have already made this change or are in the process of doing so.
○ For most people getting a real I.D. (a.k.a. updating your regular driver’s license to a Real ID), the cost is $25.
○ You may be eligible to buy your Real ID online. Click here to see if you meet the requirements to buy online.
○ The SCDMV continuously releases info on the status of REAL ID. Follow them at @SC_DMV or South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles. You can email questions here.