Table of Contents
If you’re planning a trip, we’ve got important information you need to know before booking a flight: You may need to update your identification.
Here’s what you need to know. ⬇️
What is a REAL ID?
- It’s a form of identification that meets security standards established by the REAL ID Act of 2005 — featuring a gold star.
- Enforcement for South Carolinians will begin May 7, 2025.
- A REAL ID is only valid for eight years.
- Licenses or IDs that do not have a gold star will state “Not for Federal Identification” and are not compliant with REAL IDs.
You need a REAL ID if…
- You want to board a domestic, commercial flight. Note: Unexpired US Passports will still be required for international travel, regardless of REAL ID purchase.
- You plan to enter any federal buildings or military installations. See the military installation disclaimer here.
- Note: Military IDs, valid US Passports, or other federal identification accepted to pass airport security may be used in lieu of changing SC ID or license to a REAL ID.
You do not need a REAL ID to…
- Enter a hospital
- Access federal buildings that do not require an ID
- Apply for or get federal benefits, such as social security
How to get a REAL ID
- Find an SCDMV near you.
- Visit this “Sweet Caroline” application to ensure that you have the required documentation to purchase a REAL ID. Heads up: If you’ve had a legal name change, check these guidelines.
- If your required documentation is on file with the SCDMV, you may purchase your REAL ID driver’s license online with proper documentation electronically submitted by an SC-licensed eye care professional (passing the Certificate of Vision Examination). Check your online eligibility here.