Calling all movers and shakers. Are you ready to become an even more engaged citizen? Do you want to know more about the goings-on in our city before they happen? You can make your voice heard by serving as a volunteer member of one of Charleston’s 20+ boards and commissions.
As a board member, you can weigh in on topics like bicycles + pedestrian walkways, advise on health and wellness, or contribute to historic development and preservation of cemeteries.
To be considered for a position, you must find an opening on the board or commission of your choosing. Click “Join,” then select “Apply” next to the seat you want, and then click “Apply Now” at the top right corner of the page. There you can create an account and fill out an application.
Who can apply?
- Any citizen residing in Charleston age 18 or older can apply. Pro tip: Depending on the position, certain subject matter expertise may be required. Read the vacancy’s listing to see what it takes.
What is the time commitment?
- To make sure the time commitment fits with your personal schedule, you can view meeting times on each individual board or commission landing page via the City of Charleston website.
Where do I find vacancies?
- Check out the boards and commissions page and click on the “Boards+” tab.
- If the board or commission has an opening, there will be a “Join” button on the right.
- To apply, simply click the “Join” button, find the position you are interested in, and click “Apply.”