Table of Contents
With so many restaurants in Charleston, it can be hard to know where to start. If you’re looking for gluten-free options, we rounded up this list of eateries that will help you narrow your search and find a new favorite spot. Bonus: both of our city editors Tatum and Mia are gluten free, so we love these spots too.
Breakfast + coffee shops
- The Harbinger Café | 1107 King St. | Talk about cozy — this bakery offers a glowy ambiance with freshly baked gluten free snacks.
- Vintage Coffee Café | 219 Simmons St.| The small town vibes are strong at this neighborhood cafe with yummy avocado toast.
- Mercantile & Mash | 701 E. Bay St.| Check out one of the best places to work remote and pickup a gluten free eat.
- Mozzo Deli | 616 Meeting St., 730 Coleman Blvd. | Mia here... this is my personal favorite to grab a gluten free sandwich. Give my order a try: creek sandwich on gluten free bread, side of jalapeno chips and a sweet tea.
- Five Loaves Café | 214 N. Cedar Street, Summerville, 1055 Johnnie Dodds Blvd., Mt. Pleasant | The ideal place for lunch with a friend and light eats.
- Brown Dog Deli | 40 Broad St., 225 Calhoun St.| This is a staple in the Charleston community for a casual eat and downtown vibes.
- Insomnia cookies| 509 King St. | If you know you know... this is the mecca of gooey warm cookies and they even offer a classic chocolate chip cookie as gluten free.
- Annie O’Love’s Cookie Café | 1901 Ashley River Rd. | Annie’s has a quirky atmosphere and serves up unique cookies and treats that are vegan and gluten free.
- Mabel Mae’s Bakery | 6185 Rivers Ave., North Charleston | This spot is a personal favorite but be sure to note that they do not have a physical space and can be purchased at events, pickup, or delivery.
- Baker & Brewer | 94 Stuart St. | Gluten free beer and pizzas are offered at this fun brewery.
- Coastal Crust |219 Simmons St., Mt. Pleasant, 979 Harbor View Rd. | When we think of coastal crust golf carts, wood fire pizza, and outdoor eating come to mind.
- Iggy’s Pizza | 1220 Ben Sawyer Blvd., Mt. Pleasant | Iggy’s is a quick fix when it comes to carry out gluten free pizza + indoor seating as well.
- 167 Raw | 193 King St. | When in Charleston eat like a local, oysters are served as well as gluten free options at this local resaurant.
- Grace & Grit | 320 Wingo Way, Mt. Pleasant |Who needs flights of drinks when you can have flights of grits? This is a great spot to try different flavors of gluten free grits.
- Le Farfalle | 15 Beaufain St.| Speaking as somebody who lived in Italy this local spot offers some of the tastiest gluten free pasta dishes in CHS.
Remember to speak with your server before ordering if you have food allergies or sensitivities. This is not a comprehensive list, so if you know of another gluten free spot, please let us know.
Any vegan or plant-based eaters out there? Don’t worry, we have you covered too — check out our article on plant-based eating in CHS.