The Halsey Institute of Contemporary Art will host a new display by renowned artist La Vaughn Belle called “When the Land Meets the Body,” beginning Friday, Aug. 25, through Saturday, Dec. 9. To celebrate the new exhibition, there will also be various events for the community to enjoy.
“When the Land Meets the Body” explores the relationship between history, land, and the bodies between them through a selection of existing and new works inspired by the Lowcountry landscape. These works include large-scale paintings, sculptural works, colonial imagery in a new form + a new video installation outlining the history of the marshes and swamps of Charleston.
Saturday, Aug. 26, 2 p.m. | Art Talk | Free
- Take a deeper dive into the work with La Vaughn Belle. Join in this conversation at the Halsey Institute.
Thursday, Sept. 28, 4 p.m. | WGS Intersections | Free
- Organized by the Women’s and Gender Studies Program at the College of Charleston, a panel will discuss the themes explored in the exhibition.
Thursday, Oct. 5, 6-7:30 p.m. | Poetry Reading | Free
- Enjoy an evening of poetry by Marlanda Dekine and A$iahMae with light bites and refreshments in the Halsey galleries.
Wednesday, Oct. 25, 5-7 p.m. | Halsey After Hours | Free for members, $10 for non-members
- Sip happy hour specials and view the exhibition. Meet Halsey staff and advisory board members + receive a photo featuring Halsey’s famous moon.
Saturday, Nov. 4, 10-11:30 a.m. | Carolina Gold Cultural History Tour | Free
- Meet Halsey at the Caw Caw Interpretive Center and explore the land that inspired the art. During this 75-minute tour, participants will learn more about the rich history of rice, examine the roles and influences of enslaved Africans and African Americans, and discuss the Stono Slave Rebellion. To reserve your spot, email the team.
Sunday, Nov. 12, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. | Family Day | Free
- Bring the kids for guided tours and activities that explore the exhibition. Healthy snacks will be provided.
Saturday, Dec. 2, 5:30-7:30 p.m. | Wreath Making Workshop | $25